Wednesday 20 March 2013

Want a main meal that’s quick, cheap and delicious?



I’ve just got the kids home from school, so this is a quick post on the dinner I’m currently cooking up! 

A firm favourite in our home is my special sausage casserole. This is a rough guide to what you can include, but I change it a little every time and add whatever vegetables I might have in the fridge. You could also try it with meatballs, or add some chorizo – depending on how fussy your little monkeys are!

sausage casserole


You need...

1 pack of sausages
1 bag of sweet potatoes, or squash
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can of beans – try mixed, cannellini, kidney beans, or even lentils
1 can of sweet corn
1 onion

  • Fry off the sausages initially, cut into bite-size chunks. Meanwhile, your peeled and chopped sweet potatoes can be par- boiling, and onion frying.
  • Next, add the sweet potato par-boiled to your onions and chopped tomatoes. Simmer away for about 10 minutes.
  • Add the sweetcorn, beans and the cooked sausages for the last couple of minutes.
  • Serve in bowls, with a little crusty bread perhaps. 

This is a brilliant meal for a family on a budget, coming in at just under £5. Give me your feedback if you give it a go yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog! :-) x